Monday, December 7, 2015

Gelli Printed Lamp

I saw this "brass" lamp at a garage sale for $3. It looks brass but it is magnetic, so it is brass colored metal I guess. We needed another lamp and I thought the shape of this lamp would be perfect for...yes you guessed it...covering with gelli prints :) I bought a new shade for it since the one it came with was quite old and dusty and yellowish. This project was super easy to do, and pretty fast too. First I took the lamp outside and sprayed it and the metal part on the finial thingy with Scotch Super 77 Multi Purpose Spray Adhesive. I had my first few prints cut to size and standing by. After I sprayed a coating of the adhesive on while holding my breath, I walked away to get some fresh air for a few seconds, grabbed my prints and off I went. They stuck to the lamp base like a dream, so easy and no wrinkling. I had to pull a few of them back and re-position, but no major wrinkling at all. After a short time, I took the whole operation back inside where it was not windy, as I did not want any stray tree parts, etc. sticking to it. I never even really got a whiff of the spray adhesive, so that's good, as you need to be careful with this stuff if you use it. I had my paper cutter ready to go beside me and just sliced up the prints to the sizes I needed to get it done. When I had it covered, I secured any loose edges or corners with gel medium and a little brush. After it was dry, I outlined the sections with a black oil based Sharpie paint pen. I'm not sure who suggested that on my last gelli print project, I have to go back and find out, but thank you, I think that was excellent advice and I appreciate it!! I primed the wood part on top and the ball on the top with Zinsser, and then painted with three coats of Americana Multi-Surface Satin Acrylics in Black Tie. I then used my sweet little 4" Gelli® printing plate to print directly on the lamp shade. While I was at it, I made a fun gift bag for my friend Debbie, using the plain white gift bag to clean my stamps and texture plates off on. I really like how the shade came out and it looks pretty cool when the light is on. Please have a look at my sweet new lamp...:)



Here is the before photo of the brass colored metal lamp...


lamp base covered...


metal part on finial covered and wood parts painted with primer...


metal part on top covered and wood part painted black...


Ready to print on the lamp shade...


  
All done!!!
 




 

Here is the gift bag for Debbie...



 Thanks for looking at my blog!!!
Hope to see you again soon!!

4 comments:

  1. This was one of my favorite FYI projects I've seen. You did a fantastic job and I can't wait to go out and find a couple of lamps to do myself! Thanks a LOT for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job! I bet it looks good with the light on too. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both!!! You are most welcome and I'm so glad you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete