Friday, September 4, 2015

Dollhouse Shelf Makeover with DecoArt®

While searching for dollhouses on craigslist, I found this dollhouse shelf that I thought would make great storage for my new art room. It is solid wood and had a pretty thick coat of glossy white paint on it, so rather than sand and repaint, I decided to cover it with Gelli® prints. I made all the prints using DecoArt Americana® Multi-Surface Satin Acrylics and the Americana® Neon Acrylic paints. Instead of using the"deli" paper that is so popular, all my prints were done on wax paper and parchment paper from the Dollar Tree, which was awesome because it took a LOT of prints to cover this. I have had no success finding sheets of deli paper locally so that's why I tried the $1 wax and parchment paper initially and it works great. I had some Reynolds wax paper, but it seemed so waxy I was afraid the paint would not stick to it since wax is a resist. The stuff from the dollar store does not have much wax on it, just enough to make it easy to work with in collages and the parchment paper is a bit more sturdy. The Americana® Multi-Surface paints were fantastic on the printing plate!! They were super easy to spread and did not leave stains as some craft paints do. I used DecoArt Americana® Decoupage Matte to stick the prints on and then painted the edges of the shelf with the same paints I used for the prints, with the addition of the Neon Pink Patio Paint by DecoArt®. I love love love neon pink paint, and this Patio Paint has fabulous coverage!!! A lot of neon paints tend to be on the transparent side, so I cannot wait to try the other colors of Patio Paint by DecoArt®. For the edges of the scallops on top, I used the Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic in Black Tie, after a coat of DecoArt Media® Black Gesso to help with coverage. The stencils I used to make the monoprints are by... DecoArt - Americana Decor® Honeywire, Americana® Dangles and Oopsy Daisy, and The Crafters Workshop® -  Circle Explosion. All the stamps used are handmade by me using either dollar store erasers or craft foam. I am working on getting a big black backdrop so I can get better pictures of my colorful stuff, but for now, here it is...hope you like it!!  Oh, and I also found my first dollhouse on craigslist that same day!! It will be getting a DecoArt® makeover as well. I will be posting about that and about my new art room soon :)



Here are the DecoArt® products I used for this project, and a few of the prints that were cut up but not harmed :)






2 comments:

  1. This is awesome? Where do you purchase your Deco art supplies? Do u have any video tutorial links that show your technique with the wax paper? I would love to see it in action! I'm brand new to jelly printing but this sounds pretty adorable. Just trying to understand where the wax paper comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn! Thanks for looking...I got some of the DecoArt multi-surface paints at Michaels and I also recently became a member of the DecoArt Blogger Outreach program, through which I was able to request some supplies for my project. I got the Decoupage, the stencils, the black gesso, and the Neon paints from DecoArt for no charge. If you blog about your art, you must check this program out!!! I have not successfully made any videos yet, but I am working on it. I am having a bit of a challenge with proper lighting and a camera mount to look down at my work space. Do you have a gelli plate or other printing surface? I just rolled out some paint on the plate and gave it some texture and put a stencil on some of them. Then I had already cut a bunch of sheets of the dollar store wax paper to approximately a little bit bigger than my 8 x 10 gelli plate. I did the first and second pull on two separate sheets, making sure to rub the paper down into the holes on the stencils really good. Then I cleaned up the plate on the third pull with office paper. Let the prints dry, trimmed the unprinted edges off then cut them to fit the sizes I needed. There is a lot of wrinkling when you apply the wax paper down on the wet glued surface, but its like putting in shelf paper, you just smooth it as you go and then take a soft cloth and gently rub out any big bubbles, making sure the edges get stuck down. (is that proper english?) The surface on the dollhouse shelf was not perfect, so I was not concerned if there were some tiny wrinkles when it dried, as they just add texture and are hard to see as there is so much going on in the prints themselves. Where do you live? I have been wanting someone to gelli print with. Let me know if that explanation was not clear and I'll keep working on my camera set up :)

    ReplyDelete