Monday, September 28, 2015

Colorful Painted Dresser With DecoArt

At last!! I am finished with my first painted dresser project. I got this dresser for my baby nursery over 24 years ago. There is no way I will ever get rid of it, so it just got a happy colorful make-over. The old handles were ugly brassy things with some kind of ornate plate behind them. I HAD to change them!! The holes for the handles on the bottom two drawers are 2 1/2 inches apart. After searching far and wide for simple black wire handle pulls, I discovered that the only available handle pulls that mount at that size are those half cup style pulls, which I did not want, nor did I want to pay $5 each for. I also did not want to use two knobs instead of handles, but it is what I ended up doing, for now, because I do not want to drill new holes either. Please let me know if you think it sucks like that. :) My other plan to use two glass doorknobs from my Nana's old house for the top drawer, which only has knobs and not handles, did not work out for me either.  The issue is the extra piece of wood on the front of the top drawer. I was not able to find screws to fit the holes that were also long enough to go through the glass knobs and the wood. Soooo...I ended up using some square black knobs with spirals on them that I got at Hobby Lobby for 1.50 each (during the week that knobs and handles are on sale 50% off). They are black and they have spirals, so i thought they were ok. I primed the dresser first with Zinsser Bullseye 123 primer, then painted the base coats with DecoArt Americana Multi-Surface Satin Acrylics, except for the pink, which is Neon Pink Patio Paint, also by DecoArt. I also used the Patio Paint for the flowers, rectangles, and circles with hearts in them. I like this paint a lot because it has very good coverage and it flows nicely. I used DecoArt Media Gesso in white before painting on the shapes. For the black and white areas, I used DecoArt Gesso in black under the Black Tie Multi-Surface Satin to help with coverage in less coats. All outlining and doodling was done with Painters paint pens. Finally, I coated the whole thing in Americana Decor Soft Touch Varnish, except the top, which I decided to leave as it is, since it has a nice clear coat on it and I think it is some sort of laminate. I may change my mind and paint it black and white later. Thanks for looking, and leave me a comment if you think I should paint the top or not :)








Here is a close up of one of the knobs I ended up using, and a picture of the glass knobs from my Nana's house, along with the old knobs from the dresser...




and here are the supplies I used for this project...

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pamela, You did a great job on this piece of furniture! It is sooooo cute. I love the design and I am a sucker for the black and white checker board border. My vote is to leave the top white because of wear and tear, especially if it is laminate. What a one-of-a-kind treasure.

    ReplyDelete