Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Making Beads With Sculpey III Polymer Clay

Hi and thanks for stopping by...I made these beads with Sculpey III polymer clay, using the Amaco Tri Bead Roller. I put a coating of Sculpey Gloss Glaze on after baking them on the Sculpey Bead Baking Rack. I first discovered polymer clay back in 1991 when I worked for a year in a local after school enrichment program. My son and I played with it a lot when he was little, but we never had any fancy tools to use with it or anything. Now I am mainly interested in using it to make dollhouse miniatures, but the caning techniques are super cool too and I really want to get good at all of it. Just last year, I bought my first pasta machine, which was a Giada DiLaurentis machine from Target. It left black streaks on my clay no matter what I did to clean it. After researching the issue, I ended up getting the Marcado Atlas with the anodized aluminum rollers that do not do that. My son said these beads looked like a "bead forest" when they were drying on the wires and toothpicks in the foam block. 






6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pamela, Your shiny beads look like hard candy hors d'oeuvres children receive by correctly guessing the flavors of the swirly colors, or they taste the candy without peeking and guess the colors by the flavors they taste. The closest one might be orange blueberry,flanked by tangerine liquorice and cranberry grape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your Singing Heart Art creations inspire digressions into whimsy and fantasy... and here's another fantastic coincidence: In 1991, Barbara and I were making our living by producing and selling thousands and thousands of sculpey beads and millefiori pendants! We wheeled and dealed our crafts at Grateful Dead shows and other events and wholesaled them in big ziplock bags to stores. We still have bags of them and unopened sculpy III. I was planning to vend at an event the weekend before last and intended to start making more pendants to enhance our inventory, but I had to cancel my reservation. If you're still interested in sculpey, we could all get together sometime and make some beads!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your Singing Heart Art creations inspire digressions into whimsy and fantasy... and here's another fantastic coincidence: In 1991, Barbara and I were making our living by producing and selling thousands and thousands of sculpey beads and millefiori pendants! We wheeled and dealed our crafts at Grateful Dead shows and other events and wholesaled them in big ziplock bags to stores. We still have bags of them and unopened sculpy III. I was planning to vend at an event the weekend before last and intended to start making more pendants to enhance our inventory, but I had to cancel my reservation. If you're still interested in sculpey, we could all get together sometime and make some beads!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Pamela, Your shiny beads look like hard candy hors d'oeuvres children receive by correctly guessing the flavors of the swirly colors, or they taste the candy without peeking and guess the colors by the flavors they taste. The closest one might be orange blueberry,flanked by tangerine liquorice and cranberry grape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fred that is so awesome and I would love to get together and make beads!! I would love to see some of your pendants too. I'm a novice at caning, but I aspire to be a master at it. Some of the stuff I have seen is beyond awesome

    ReplyDelete